Every morning I scour the web and look at the latest ads (in any medium) from around the non-US world. Then I post for you my Ad of the Day. Some days it will be awesome, some days you might not like it. But it’s the Ad of the Day!
- Agency: Leo Burnett Tailor Made
- Location: Sao Paulo, Brazil
- Client: Mini 500
- Name: “Flanelinha” (this is the name in Brazil for guys that offer to “watch your car” for a small tip when you park in the city.)
- Flanelinha: “Hey, hey…Watch your car?”
- Woman: “Sure. It’s 10 reais”
- Flanelinha (without hesitation): “10? Will you take a fiver?”
- Tagline: Irresistible design. New Fiat 500
- Why I like it: I’ve featured a couple of 15 second spots before (here, and here), and what I love about them is how they distill ideas down to something very simple, said in an interesting way. In and out, piece of cake. Now, what’s the first thing about this new car? It’s very “showy”, very new, very cool. Everyone just wants to look at it, it’s unlike anything else out there. Well, this ad delivers this point VERY simply, clearly, with humor and memorability…and it makes the car just look great. Without any extraneous crap. So easy to describe, so damn hard to do! Compare it for example with the fantastically bad US launch ad for the same car, widely mocked, and for good reason. The one from Brazil gets it right. Awesome, creative simplicity from Leo Burnett in Sao Paulo – parabens!