Ad of the Day – January 17 (Manila)

Your daily dose of advertising awesomeness from around the world!

Today’s pick:

  • Agency: Leo Burnett
  • Location: Manila
  • Client: McDonald’s
  • Name: Hooray for Morning
  • Category: Film
  • Why I like it: Both lovely and unpretentious, this ad spoke to me. I hate waking up. The predawn hours seem so harsh and unwelcoming…and yet…slowly as the light seeps through the sky, as the city wakes and gets going, there is a daily sense of optimism and rebirth which can be quite touching. This ad captures that sensation: it’s beautifully shot, paced just right (almost like a slow, reluctant awakening,) and backed by an amazing soundtrack. And because for many people the morning coffee is the exclamation point in this feeling of “ok, let’s go for it!”, the connection with McDonald’s feels real, and it’s pushed just enough but no further. A perfect ad for a sunny Friday morning!
Advertisements

Ad of the Day – December 10 (Manila)

Your daily dose of advertising awesomeness from around the world!

Today’s pick:

  • Agency: BBDO Guerrero
  • Location: Manila
  • Client: Pantene
  • Name: Labels
  • Category: Film
  • Why I like it: Sure, one could make a case against this ad on grounds of criminally weak branding: One could have slapped any logo on at the end. Guilty as charged, and what a shame. And yet…this one sticks with you, because the message is important and the tone is just right. Anytime you tackle these “hot issues” it’s unbelievable hard to hit the right tone. There’s a 60% chance that you come off as preachy and overbearing. And a 39% chance that you are too mild and don’t even get noticed. In between is a mere 1% sweetspot…which is why this Pantene ad should be celebrated despite its flaws. Lovely execution, amazing music, clear in its message, and (most importantly) exactly right on tonality: managing to impact and raise eyebrows, without alienating. Its assured “virality” will partially offset the weak branding…so all in all, a strong effort from the Philippines.

Ad of the Day – October 4 (Manila)

Every morning I scour the web and look at 10 random ads (in any medium) from around the non-US world. Then I post for you my Ad of the Day. Some days it will be awesome, some days you might not like it. But it’s the Ad of the Day!

Today’s pick:

  • Agency: BBDO Guerrero
  • Location: Manila, Philippines
  • Client: Fedex
  • Name: “Package #83”
  • Why I like it: Fedex has been coming out with some good advertising in the US lately, but for my money this campaign, developed in the Philippines, is superior. Excellent “Hollywood” production values with just the right amount of “tongue-in-cheek” humor (love the overacting!), and a fabulous and funny twist at the end, not just for entertainment – but to bring to life the product benefit with laser-like clarity! A simple story, told very well. Excellent brand linkage, memorability, and campaignability…what else can I say. Fantastic work from BBDO on our first Ad of the Day from the Philippines!